TMJ Treatment in Waco
Headaches are one of the most common symptoms of TMD, or TMJ disorder. If you are experiencing headaches, migraines, or facial pain, visit Dr. Cutbirth in Waco for a TMJ analysis.
How Does TMD Cause Headaches?
The temporomandibular joints connect the jaw to the skull. When these joints undergo stress, TMD can develop, along with painful headaches.
When the joint does not function properly, the muscles of the jaw become stressed. This strain creates tension that radiates through the skull and manifests itself in headaches.
You deserve fast headache relief. Dr. Cutbirth has the skill and knowledge to eliminate your headaches for good.
Recognizing the Symptoms of TMJ Disorder
- Pain or soreness in the jaw, especially in the morning or afternoon
- Stiffness or pain in the jaw while yawning, biting or chewing
- Earache that extends into the face
- Soreness or tenderness in the area in front of the ear
- A grinding or popping noise when opening your mouth
- Teeth that are sensitive
- Neck pain and headaches on the side of the head
- A burning feeling in the tongue or mouth
- Teeth grinding
- Locking of the jaw when it’s open or closed, or a limited range of motion in the jaw
TMJ Treatment Options
As is always the case with any dental or medical condition, the first step in treatment is to receive a proper diagnosis from a dentist or doctor. Waco dentist, Dr. Cutbirth, will review your complete medical history, perform a clinical exam and take X-rays in order to confirm that you have some form of TMJ disorder.
After the diagnosis is confirmed, he may recommend one or any combination of the following TMJ treatment methods to give you lasting headache relief:
- Take pain relievers, anti-inflammatory drugs, analgesics or muscle relaxants
- Restricting your diet to soft foods for a period of time
- Avoid chewing gum as much as possible
- Apply either ice or moist heat to the joint
- Seek the services of a physical therapist to help alleviate symptoms
- Practice relaxation techniques to help relax the joint
- Perform stress management exercises
- Improve posture
- Utilize bite plates to reduce teeth grinding and reposition the jaw
- Occlusal equilibration – or adjusting the bite
- Replacing dental restorations that are preventing the jaws from aligning properly
Are Your Headaches Caused by a TMJ Disorder?
Many individuals who suffer from head pain have no idea that TMD is the culprit. TMJ treatment can be pleasantly simple and effective at our practice.
To discover headache relief, contact our Waco dentist office today!