It may be tempting to ignore a missing tooth. Does it matter all that much if there’s a gap in your smile? At Steven T. Cutbirth DDS in Waco, we remind our patients that there is a downside to missing a tooth that goes beyond anything cosmetic.
When a tooth is missing, it means the root is gone. When there is nothing where it used to be, the jawbone becomes weaker and more fragile. Furthermore, remaining teeth can shift into the space where the missing tooth once was.
One of the best solutions to a missing tooth is a dental implant. A dental implant involves a titanium post surgically attached to the jaw, where the root used to be. A tooth restoration goes on top of the post.
The benefits of a dental implant include:
- Longevity – Dental implants are durable and long-lasting. With proper care, they can last ten years or more.
- Seamless – Fabricated to have the same shape, size and color of the original tooth, the implant will blend seamlessly with all the other teeth. If the original tooth had aesthetic problems, these can often be repaired with the implant crown.
- Function – A dental implant functions like a natural tooth allowing for normal eating and speaking.
- Convenience – Unlike dentures, no adhesives, rinsing, or removal is necessary.
- Independent – A dental implant is treated individually. This independence means nearby teeth remain intact. Cleaning is easier than with dental bridges, which can require the threading of floss under and around the artificial tooth.
To find out whether a dental implant is right for you, call Steven T. Cutbirth DDS in Waco for more details. We also provide restorative, cosmetic, and general dentistry. We look forward to meeting you!
Contact Steven T. Cutbirth DDS:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):